I needed to get Java working with Firefox on my CentOS box. The primary reason was to do some additional NAC testing with Linux. I’ve been having a much harder time getting it installed than I originally thought. I finally got it working and wanted to share my steps and links.
1. Download the Java RPM from http://www.java.com. I used the self extracting file.
2. Create the /usr/java directory and place self extracting file there
3. Change the file to make it executable with “chmod a+x jre-6u21-linux-i586.bin”
4. Execute the file by typing “./jre-6u21-linux-i586.bin”
5. cd to the “/usr/lib/mozilla/plugins” directory
6. Create the following two symbolic links within that directory
ln -s /usr/java/jre1.6.0_21/plugin/i386/ns7/libjavaplugin_oji.so
ln -s /usr/java/jre1.6.0_21/lib/i386/libnpjp2.so
7. Close any open Firefox web browsers
8. Open a Firefox web browser
9. In the URL field, type “about:plugins”. You should see references to Java plugins.
There are a lot of references on the internet that have the first symbolic link shown above, but the only reference I found to the second symbolic link was the second reference below. That was the final step that made it work for me.
One response to “Installing Java Plugins for Firefox 3.6 on CentOS 5”
It will never go wrong to buy at onlinefashionhandbags.com, because all the come in great quality, wonderful design and affordable price.site: http://www.onlinefashionhandbags.com/